Mastering body and arms sequencing is critical if you want to transform your ball striking. Even for chip shots, the role the entire body plays should not be underestimated.
The Shot Dictates the Swing
Most of the time, people will play the most amazing shots when the only option they have is a single shot. When your options are narrowed, your focus narrows as well.
For example, people often struggle with shuffling and with getting their hands just over the ball ahead of the club header impact. If you have a similar problem, the quickest fix is to understand that the bottom of the arc is beyond the ball. With this goal in mind, you cannot come down with the shaft behind or too far ahead of the ball. You want your hands to be just over the ball as you come through to take the shot.
If that’s what my goal is, then that goal will dictate my shot.
No matter what you’re doing or what sort of shot you’re taking, you need to identify where the bottom of the arc should be. That’s where you need to focus.
So how do you do that?
- Hold the club with a relaxed grip--not too tight.
- With good grip, posture, and a slightly open stance, let the arms and shoulders work together in sequence.
- When you practice swing, make sure that you’re brushing the ground exactly where you expect the ball to be.
- There should be very little movement in the legs until you clear the left hip.
- After clearing the left hip, you should get a posting of the left leg.
- The right knee should go towards the target--don’t let it go forward instead.
- At the end of the swing, you should have good extension as a result of your rotation.
You’ll get to the bottom of the arc by leading with the shaft and getting extension through the ball by clearing your hips.
Are you more of a visual learner? Check out this video to see what this simple drill looks like in practice.
The next time you’re at the range, try to figure out where the bottom of the arc should be. After that, figure out how you’re going to get to the bottom of the arc.
Then just practice.
“My personal guarantee to you is better golf through improved understanding of the simple biomechanics of the golf swing and how, with the help of PlaneSWING, you can transform you swing, ball striking, scores AND personal fitness”.
Tony Clark, Owner/CEO PlaneSWING Golf